Monday, April 23, 2012

The Great Gatsby: Foreshadowing

"'You see,' cried Catherine triumphantly. She lowered her voice again. 'It's really his wife that's keeping them apart. She's a Catholic, and they don't believe in divorce.'
Daisy was not a Catholic, and I was a little shocked at the elaborateness of the lie." pg. 34

I think this excerpt is an example of F. Scott Fitzgerald foreshadowing future quarrel between Tom and Myrtle. Obviously, he is being false about the reasons why he isn't leaving Daisy. He must not really want to leave her. But, he also doesn't want to lose Myrtle, so he tells her that he is unable to leaver his wife. I think that there will be some discrepancy about this lie eventually. Myrtle will find out. Now, to the real point of why I chose this quote, I think Tom is disgusting. All he does is lie to women and he is just awful. I don't know if he respects anyone but himself. He talks to everyone in a demeaning manner, he slaps his wife, and he doesn't even respect his mistress, this woman that he is seeking outside of his wife. It seems he is completely filled with pride and dissatisfaction with life. He should probably stop taking it out on others.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I cannot stand Tom. He is a jerk and very shallow. I think he's not leaving Daisy because he want to maintain his high class image. Daisy is of a higher class than myrtle. Because he is so callous and superficial, he will stay with Daisy just to make himself look better.

    ReplyDelete