Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein: Irony

"I could not sustain the horror of my situation, and when I perceived that the popular voice and the countenances of the judges had already condemned my unhappy victim, I rushed out of the court in agony." pg. 57

Maybe it was just me, but I thought it was kind of ironic how the character JUSTINE was treated UNJUSTLY, eh? I love little quirky aspects like that of a book! It makes it more fun, and sadly, I actually feel really accomplished when I recognize them. Like I'm some sort of detective who solved a murder mystery or something. Pathetic. Anyway, I kind of think Justine's name is also an example of the foreshadowing that Mary Shelley incorporates into her novel. Throughout the story, she includes little clues as to what will happen next in the plot. The readers should have seen Justine's conviction coming... or maybe not since it was ironic. But, if the reader could have guessed that her name was ironic, they could have definitely predicted her conviction! Maybe Justine's name was supposed to say more about her character than her sentencing. While the court perceived Justine as a murderer, in reality, she was just a normal girl and she didn't do anything wrong. However, she understood that there was nothing she could do about her conviction, so she just grinned and bore it (okay, maybe she didn't grin...). She didn't try to blame anyone for her sentencing, which sort of showed her being just. No matter what it symbolized, I'm still mad that Victor just let her die. He's turning into one of my least favorite people ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment