Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Frankenstein: Frame Story

"Let your compassion be moved, and do not disdain me. Listen to my tale: when you have heard that, abandon or commiserate me, as you shall judge that I deserve. But hear me." pg. 69

So... this story is like looking in a mirror with another mirror behind you. If you have never done this, just try it out, and you'll see what I mean. I'm pretty sure I've never heard of a story with more stories that are within the stories that are within the story (if you could keep up with that). As difficult as it is to understand at some times, it definitely adds something to the work. With the book having such a wide array of narrators, the reader really gets to form personal connections with many of the characters. It makes it possible to view the story from the emotional viewpoint and background of multiple characters, which can create either a less biased or more biased  opinion on the plot of the story, depending on how one views it. It can also cause a lot of fluctuation in the reader's feelings that are attached to each character. While initially maybe a reader might have felt sympathy for one character, after hearing another character's perspective on that character, the reader's opinion can completely change. For example, in the beginning of the book, I felt a lot of sympathy for Victor. He seemed to have had a tough life, and now he was stuck in the middle of the arctic, emaciated and almost frozen to death. It didn't seem that someone could have been in a worse situation. But, when I read the story from the creature's perspective, my opinion completely changed, and Victor seemed deserving of less sympathy. He had created this creature and then left it to fend completely for itself with no guidance in life. To me, this seemed equivalent to leaving a baby in the wilderness (which is really just unacceptable if you didn't know that already). Had the novel not contained a part from the point of view of the creature, I probably would have never had this change of heart, but the part that was included from his point of view did just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment