Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein: Is Victor to Blame?

" During these last days I have been occupied in examining my past conduct; nor do I find it blameable. In a fit of enthusiastic madness I created a rational creature, and was bound towards him, to assure, as far as was in my power, his happiness and well-being. This was my duty; but there was another still paramount to that. My duties towards the beings of my own species had greater claims to my attention, because they included a greater proportion of happiness or misery." pg. 161

So... Victor doesn't feel bad for what's happened? Well, I can't say I'm surprised. He has proven to be nothing but a self-pitying worm for the majority of the book. I'm still pretty annoyed though. The last thing this guy deserves is sympathy. Every terrible situation he has experienced in his life has been by his own cause. But, at the end of his life he's basically taking the easy way out and saying, "Well, there was more important stuff to do than take responsibility for my actions." Let's be honest though, if people other than Walton the idiot knew what really happened in this man's life, they probably wouldn't even give him the satisfaction of having a funeral. My guess is they would just dig the deepest hole possible and throw the body in head first to make sure he would never come back. That would probably be the safest thing to do because, honestly, Victor has been more trouble to the human race than he ever feared the creature could be. And now, he's basically confessing that through all the times he said he felt that it was his fault that his friends died, he was basically lying to make people pity him, and he really doesn't feel bad at all. It's a good thing he dies soon after this because I don't think I could have gotten through much more of this completely revolting man's stories of self-pity and refusal to admit his faults. In my opinion, he's the scum of the earth, so good riddance. And if I didn't make it obvious enough , I THINK VICTOR IS ENTIRELY TO BLAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment