Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein: Victor's Refusal to Tell Walton the Creation Process

"I endeavoured to gain from Frankenstein the particulars of his creature's formation: but on this point he was impenetrable.
'Are you mad, my friend?' said he; 'or whither does your senseless curiosity lead you? Would you also create for yourself and the world a demoniacal enemy? Peace, peace! learn my miseries, and do not seek to increase your own.'" pg. 156

Well, it turns out Walton's an idiot too. After hearing all of Frankenstein's tale, which surprisingly has a good message about being too ambitious despite Frankenstein's idiocy, Walton still has the nerve to ask him how he created the creature... DID HE LEARN NOTHING?! The entire point behind Frankenstein's story was to guide Walton in the right direction, to make him realize the consequences of being overly ambitious. After his story about the terrible things he had to go through after he created the creature, it seemed to me that the message of his story was evident: that not setting boundaries can lead to more bad than good. The message I didn't get from his story though was, "Hey Walton, you should do exactly what I did and create a creature that will ruin your entire life because it turned out really well for me." Apparently, that's what Walton got out of it though because he still asked him how he created the monster. Victor's response to this request didn't surprise me at all because it seemed pretty similar to how I would respond to Walton if I was in that situation. However, I probably would have used some choice words and not just stopped at the mere accusation that he was "mad". Needless to say, this is one of the rare occasions in the novel where I find that Victor does not act idiotically. I think it was smart of him to not reveal the creation process of the creature. Because if Walton still wanted to know how the creature was created after Victor told his story, he obviously didn't get the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment