Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Frankenstein: Foreshadowing

"Pardon this gush of sorrow; these ineffectual words are but a slight tribute to the unexampled worth of Henry, but they soothe my heart, overflowing with the anguish which his remembrance creates." pg. 114

I originally felt bad for Victor, but soon after hearing the monster's tale, my opinion was completely changed. I had felt very bad for this creature who was so benevolent yet so misguided. However, after finishing the novel, I can say, in frustration, that I really have grown to hate both characters. Victor, I detest for his constant selfishness, but on the other hand, who could condone a creature that is constantly trying to ruin Victor's life by taking the lives of others? They both sicken me to say the least. Anyway, the foreshadowing in this excerpt certainly didn't give either of them any redeeming qualities. Before Victor even tells of how Henry dies, he alludes to his death by mentioning "his remembrance". So, the reader knows that Clerval is going to die, and from previous events, one can predict that it will be at the hands of the creature when he seeks vengeance on Victor. When reading this excerpt that revealed future events, I was firstly, extremely disgusted by Victor. He continually let this monster be the cause of death of those he loved, and he really never made any attempt to stop him. The only time he ever showed any concern was after they had been killed, when he wept like a baby. Part of me wants to scream, "WHY DON'T YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT THEN?!", and then part of me really just wants to send him soaring off the edge of a cliff so that maybe this monster who used to be so benevolent can return to his old ways. But, no. That wouldn't solve the problem either because the creature is a murderer, despite how good in nature he says he is. There is no cause that justifies a being's killing of another human. Though I still felt some sympathy for him after he killed William, knowing that he was going to kill Clerval just drew the line for me. He was obviously evil, and feeling sorry for himself didn't change that. Because of this foreshadowing, I went into the rest of the tale with my opinions about Victor and the creature already formed. It made me loathe Victor for his cowardice and the creature for his evil nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment