Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What an odd man...

"At first Bartleby did an extraordinary quantity of writing. As if long famishing for somthing to copy, he seemed to gorge himself on my documents. There was no pause for digestion. He ran a day and night line, copying by sunlight and by candlelight. I should have been quite delighted witht his application had he been cheerfully industrious. but he wrote on silently, palely, mechanically."

The biggest thing that stuck out to me in this story was how odd Bartleby the scrivener was. He was simply just not a normal man. From the way he worked, to the way he acted, to the mysterious way he responded to the narrator's requests, he was certainly a bizarre individual. He almost reminded me of a robot. It was as if the things that he declined to do for the narrator were things he were not "programmed" to do. It also does not help that he shows relatively no emotion and acts like a ghost of a man throughout the story. In the above quote, he is even described as "mechanically" working. That sounds suspicious to me. Maybe Bartleby was not a person at all. Maybe he was a robot. But that would not fit the time period for this story very well. Maybe he was just somewhat insane. That would be more likely. He almost reminds me of a serial killer. He shares a lot of qualities with my neighbor across the street who my entire family is scared of. Either way, lets just say I wouldn't feel comfortable being in a room with him by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment